Aug 5, 2021 | Employee Profiles, News
“The most enjoyable part of my job is being a part of the TVS mission. On the struggle days, that’s what keeps me going.”
- Graduated from Rosman High School in 1991
- Started at TVS in December 2018
- College Education: Associate in Arts (AA) from Blue Ridge Community College
- Professional Growth at TVS: Originally hired as an INTERACT Direct Support Professional (DSP). “This was the most personally rewarding job I’ve ever had in my life.”
After 9 months, Tracie accepted the HR Administrative Assistant position before being presented with an opportunity as a Warehouse Associate.
- Warehouse Associate, in a nut shell: “Responsible for data entry of all incoming materials and ingredients and outgoing shipments of Mountain Maid INDM and Low-Fat Bakery Mix. As well as, moving materials from the warehouse and production locations, and assisting in other inventory or logistic tasks.”
- Why TVS? “I had gone through VISION Transylvania in 2015 and toured the facility. I heard about the mission and saw the operation. It was the first place I looked at for employment in 2018 after retiring from elections.”
- Career goals? “I plan to keep working towards using my full potential for the company because I have so much more to give. I just don’t know where that will take me yet.”
- Previous Work Experience: 25 year career at the local election center working as an election clerk and moving up to the election director.
- Favorite part about working at TVS? “The mission first and then the people I get to work with.”
- Favorite TVS memory? “A lot. But thinking back, I would have to say that watching INTERACT participants perform a song in sign language at the Transylvania County jail was one of the best experiences. It was heart-warming to watch the reactions from the inmates.”
- What makes TVS different? “It is all about working together on a large scale. Each department works independently, together to reach the overall goals.”
Jul 9, 2021 | Employee Profiles
“TVS is a good job. It has changed my life ever since I came here.”
- Production Associate, in a nutshell: performs production tasks including (but not limited to) palletizing, case packing, and hand assembly.
- Previous Work Experience: Previously worked as a Supported Employment client at a local grocery store as a bagger
- What brought you to TVS? “I liked TVS better because they welcomed me and offered new stuff to do.”
- How long have you been at TVS? 20 years!
- Areas of work? Jamie works on AbilityOne contracts helping package products including SuperCereal Plus and Bakery Mix. The products are used to feed U.S. Military Troops and for supplying food for food insecurities, domestic and international with the USAID and the USDA.
- Favorite part about working at TVS? “I look forward to the company picnics with bounce houses and food.”
- After work? Jamie can be found dancing, singing country and bluegrass music, bowling, and talking about the Special Olympics.
Jul 28, 2020 | Employee Profiles
“This job not only has a local impact, but also a global impact with the products we make and the people we serve.”
- Brevard High graduate
- Attended East Tennessee State University with a major in Engineering and a minor in Music before joining the U.S. Army
- Former U.S. Army, Helicopter pilot as well as a commercial pilot
- Graduated from Greenville Tech with a degree in Aviation Mechanics
- Special Projects & Finishing Production Manager, in a nutshell: developing programs and processes to employ adults with disabilities and other barriers to employment.
- Previous Work Experience: most recently; UPM Raflatac and as the Assistant Band Teacher at Brevard High School.
- What brought you to TVS? “I was looking to leave the corporate world and to be closer to home.”
- Career Goals? “To advance in management and learn more operations in the facility.”
- Favorite part about working at TVS? “The interactions with INTERACT participants. It doesn’t matter what kind of day you are having, they bring an energy here and will put a smile on your face.”
Jul 1, 2020 | Employee Profiles
“It is a family-oriented business, I love what they offer to individuals with disabilities. This is especially important to me since I have a child with autism.”
- Graduated from Rosman High School in 2010
- Started at TVS in May 2018
- First job at TVS: Quality Technician (level 1)
- Quality Technician (level 2), in a nut shell: “Making sure lot codes are correct and upholding the integrity of our bags and products. It has a lot of paperwork and organization but it guarantees that the equipment is working correctly and that the products are safe.”
- Why Quality? “I knew I wanted to work in quality because of paperwork skills and I knew that TVS was a great place to work because my Mother-In-Law used to work here.”
- Career goals? “Continue moving forward in the company by first becoming a level 3 Quality Technician and be able to provide for my family.”
- Previous Work Experience: Gaia Herbs in Shipping and Receiving and as a Liner Accelerator Tech and Press Tech.
- Favorite part about working at TVS? “The people are one of the best parts. I am a social butterfly, I love talking to everyone especially coworkers and INTERACT participants.”
- Favorite TVS memory? “I am currently enjoying coaching the TVS Softball team and I also really have enjoyed past company picnics.”
Jan 21, 2020 | Employee Profiles
- Grew up in Pisgah Forest
- Attended Brevard High School; taking online courses at Blue Ridge to get HS diploma
- Started at TVS in April 2016
- Why TVS? My Dad and older brother work at TVS – hearing how much they enjoyed their jobs made me want to work here.
- First job here: Production Worker 2nd Shift
- Promotions: First in 2017 to Shipping Material Handler then in 2018 to Warehouse Associate
- Skills Used for Success: good communication; being flexible and comfortable with change
- Favorite aspect of TVS: the overall mission and the strong and amazing people I work with
- Most memorable experience at TVS: all the friends I’ve made along the way.
“Give TVS a chance to prove how genuine the people here are. Self-belief and hard work will always earn you success.”
Dec 20, 2019 | Employee Profiles
- Born in Chattanooga, yet grew up in Brevard since age 2
- Graduated Brevard High School in 2015
- Work prior to TVS: Cashier at Bi-Lo for 2 years
- High School Experience that inspired you to apply at TVS: helping out with and interacting with my disabled and special needs peers.
- Started at TVS in November 2017
- Why TVS? Good learning opportunities and a place for growth. More money too.
- Skills Used for Success: being on time
- Favorite aspect of TVS: working with the LifeSkills participants
- Most memorable Experience at TVS: watching our CEO Jamie get a pie in the face at our annual picnic.
“If you are interested in working with people with intellectual disabilities,
this is a great, fun, and rewarding job.”